The Story of Cooper House
Cooper House is built on land acquired by Seattle real estate developer James Moore in 1900; Moore purchased 160 acres, which he subdivided into 800 lots collectively named “Capitol Hill.”
John O. Cooper acquired the Cooper House (225 14th Ave E) parcel in 1902 and applied for a building permit. Very unusually at the time, the building was designed to be a duplex, with an estimated cost of $5,000. Construction was completed in 1904. In 1914, the Coopers sold the property to John E. Minkler; the Minkler family owned the property until 1958.
In 2005, the building was targeted for demolition, but local resident Paul Slane was inspired to nominate the building for Landmark status. Slane spent the summer of 2005 researching and writing his nomination. The result of his efforts and those of other members of the community was the preservation of Cooper House. The building was remodeled, and re-opened in 2010 with administrative offices, meeting space, and eight therapy rooms.
In 2017, Cooper House began seeking more space to meet the growing need for infant and early childhood therapy. Just around the corner, at 1416 E Thomas Street, was a craftsman style home built in 1902. Originally designed as a residence, it served as a law office for thirty years. The building was remodeled and re-opened in 2019 as a second location for Cooper House. Affectionately referred to as “Mini Cooper” this location houses five therapy offices and meeting space.